I promised to make a dessert for the family before some goes on a diet. The result: too much salt for the crust, but very smooth and creamy. It's not as rich as a regular cheesecake.
Strawberry Cream Pie:
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3 Tbsp ice water
- 3/4 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz Neufchatel cheese
- 1/4 cup vanilla fat-free yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 1/4 cup strawberry jelly
1. Combine 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon sugar ans salt in mixing bowl. Cut butter into mixture until it's coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of the ice water and vinegar. Stir until a slightly firm dough forms. Add more ice water if needed. Form dough into a ball.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out dough into 12 in circle on lightly floured circle. Place dough into 9 inch glass pie dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. Reduce oven temp to 325.
3. Place cream cheese, Neufchatel cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp flour in mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Beat in yogurt, egg whites, and vanilla; mix well. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake 25 min or until set.
4. Place sliced berries on top of filling. Melt jam over low heat in small saucepan. Carefully brush glaze over strawberries allowing glaze to cover cheese filling. Refridgerate for 3 hours or overnight.